Disability Awareness Workshop
10.00 am – 1.30 pm
In 2006 the Act was enhanced through the introduction of the Disability Equality Duty covering the Public Sector. Under this Duty all Public authorities must actively promote Disability Equality in all that they do.
This workshop is designed to raise your awareness to ensure that you have the knowledge required with regards to being legally obliged to make the School’s services accessible to disabled/impaired pupils. This workshop will provide a better understanding of the needs of disabled/impaired pupils and help you to improve the service provision you offer.
Working towards the criteria will help your school to achieve areas of the Ofsted Inspection Framework, Quality of leadership in and management of the school, by showing how ‘well the school promotes pupil’s spiritual, moral, social and cultural development’ and all pupil groups are making ‘at least good progress’ in attainment.
By attending this workshop you will be able to work towards either developing or enhancing the ‘Disability processes and practices’ to demonstrate your proactive working practices.
Delegates attending this workshop will:
- To understand how the Disability Equality Act covers the public Sector and its implications
- To gain an understanding of Disability Discrimination and reasonable adjustments that are required
- How you should embrace diversity within the disability agenda
- Compiling a Disability Company action plan
Schools: Nurseries, Primary, Secondary, Special Schools, Free Schools, Academies
Delegates: Head Teachers, Senco, PHSE, EAL Co-ordinators, Senco Lead Governors, Support Staff
Programme for the day:
- Registration (inclusive of tea and coffee)
- Welcome and Introductions
- Develop an understanding of the DDA and its implications
- Understanding the Disability Equality Duty
- How to engage with disabled pupils
- What is meant by Disability Discrimination?
- What is meant Reasonable Adjustments?
- Where to get support in recruiting disabled pupils/employing disabled people
- How to embrace diversity within the disability agenda?
- Business Case for meeting the disabled pupils and employees
- Best practices
- Disability School Action plan
- Close (Safe journey home or back to school)
Each delegate will receive the following:
- Presentation pack
- Framed certificate of attendance (evidence for CPD)
- Complimentary sweets/chocolates/mints
- Pen and highlighter